10.12.2008

The sum of my parts

I told Steve last night that sometimes I still go sailing, and I think it was because his sister had just gotten done being married but he had tears in his eyes. He said, "I'm glad to hear that." As I walked away I realized that everything I am (and I do mean everything) is a tiny piece of someone else, physically, I am both of my parents and my brother and I are also kind of each other. But everything else that I am is everything else. Tristan, my old boss, taught me to love everything that grows in the ground or on a vine or on a tree, Melinda introduced me to Craig Finn and Steve, one of my old best friend's brother, taught me to love the open water and harness it with a boat and sail. And the neat thing is that everyone is like this. Gestalt Theory rules!

Anyway, if this isn't a reason to do good in the world in the name of everyone who's ever made you who you are, I don't know what is.

It doesn't matter what you do or how you do it, but you have to do good. For you and your past and your present and your future.

All of my activism, I dedicate to you Jana.

No comments: